Jiffy mix is a classic, cheap, and easy go to mix for cornbread. It tastes great and fits the bill perfectly. But sometimes you can’t get to the store, or you’re trying to save some more money.
If you are concerned with GMO’s, or keeping kosher, or preservatives at all, you understand most box mixes are loaded with those things, and best to be avoided. For what amounts to a mere 30 cents per batch, you can make your own Jiffy mix at home, using your own organic ingredients. I use this as the base for my favorite corn bread recipe, but it can replace a box of Jiffy mix anywhere you would use it.
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup of Yellow Corn Meal
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. If you are making this for storage, stop now.
- Add the oil and whisk until smooth
- Bake at 400F 15 to 20 minutes
- If making muffins directly, add 1 egg and 1/3 cup of milk when whisking.
- Freezes well
- Fills a pint canning jar, which makes a nice gift